Receive Updates From Writer
Get the latest stories in your inbox
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.
The current climate in Jamaica is beautifully jam-packed with running events. There are many that have been popping up over the past months and weeks that have been solely created to be charitable events. It is a matter of killing two birds with one stone. Aiming to be healthy and fit, as well as helping Jamaica in whatever way that is possible.
In taking on a running marathon, there are certain things that you need to consider and do, in order to prepare. Preparation is key in ensuring that your body is in a great shape to take on such a mission. Whether you are going to do a 2k, 5k or 10k, here are some things that you need to know:
- Make sure that you are up to date on your medical check-ups. Taking on a running marathon can be a gruelling task for your body and you need to be certain that your body can manage it. Make sure to check with your doctor if you are in the clear to proceed.
- Create a training plan in order to get your body in shape. This can be running for 20-30 minutes three times per week or being committed to your gym sessions. You need to acclimatize your body so that you can lessen or prevent any risk of injury.
- Choosing the proper gear is also very important. Choosing the correct shoes and the right clothing is vital in order to run/walk comfortably. The proper gear can also play a factor in lessening or preventing any injury. Check out these TIPS from Verywell
- Make sure to eat healthy in the weeks leading up to the event, as you need to ensure that your body is being provided with the proper nutrients in order to have a safe run.
- Hydration is key. Make sure to drink water or sports drinks on the run, but only enough to quench your thirst. You also do not want to drink too much water as this can become an issue for you.
- Just because it is a running event, it does not mean that you have to run for the whole marathon. Do not overdo it! Taking walking breaks are very important. It is a great tool to give your body a rest that could be greatly needed.