Receive Updates From Writer
Get the latest stories in your inbox
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.
A traditional Jamaican dish that is sauteed with aromatic seasonings and combined with Coconut Milk.
- 2lbs salt mackerel
- 1 Coconut or 1 1/2 Tin Coconut Milk
- 1 Large Onion (Sliced)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Stalks of Escallion
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper (Green)
- 2 Medium Tomatoes (Chopped)
- 3 Sprigs of Thyme
- Black Pepper
Prep Time: 1hr 30mins Yield: 4
- Boil mackerel in hot water for 35mins to remove excess salt.
- Drain mackerel and flake into small pieces.
- Remove the hard covering from the coconut, grate or blend and then squeeze to extract the milk.
- Boil coconut milk in a saute pan until it turns custard and you see the oil separating from the custard.
- Add Mackerel and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add seasonings, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Stir and cover to simmer for another 10 minutes on low heat.
Best served with boiled banana, dumplings and yam.