Receive Updates From Writer
Get the latest stories in your inbox
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.
In the previous article, Attracting Audience to your blog, we discussed ways in which we can attract viewers to our blog without spending a dime. We discussed quality over quantity, using hashtags, being social on social media, not overthinking, promoting yourself, and being what you hope to attract. In this article, we will discuss how to maintain viewers.
Admit it, promoting your blog is one long, stressful task, but let’s be real it is the easiest part. Maintaining audience engagement must be the hardest part, in my opinion, it entails you keeping the audience on their toes, or keep their mouths watering which requires you to stay busy. The google dictionary defines the word maintain as a cause or enable (a condition or state of affairs) to continue which in essence means to keep something at the same level or provide with necessities for life or existence or sustain relevance. How in the world are you supposed to do that? Consider these tips:
- Post regularly – This, of course, is the most common tip, it is also the most effective. It may be annoying to keep writing, editing, and posting but if you want results you have to put in hard work. I would suggest that you schedule a day to for writing and editing, if you are using WordPress as your main blog site, they will allow you to schedule a publish date, which means you can choose a date and time to have your content published to your blog. You could post all your blogs and have them published every Monday and Wednesday at 8:30 AM, or you could choose a date and time most appropriate to you.
- Keep Social Media Active – Instagram has this new update where users post a widget that allows followers to ask them a question and they answer. Make use of this opportunity for your blog. You could perhaps ask your followers what they’d like to see on your next post. There is no harm in asking questions; that way your viewers will continue to view your blog because they’ll know that you have a genuine interest in them.
- Collaborate – There is saying nowadays in the determination world, “If opportunity doesn’t know, build the door.” It means therefore if no one has reached out to you for collaborations, you can reach out to them. You can write an article with your favorite blogger or you can feature your favorite article from them on your blog and vice versa. When doing your promotions you, of course, will make it known that you have a guestor, (Guest Author) and the guestor will do the same in their advertisement.
- Be passionate – Whether you believe it or not, people can dissect your passion based on your attitude. If you are doing something you despise, it will reflect in your body language; the same is true when writing. The negative energy will be evident in the results of your keystrokes, just as if you are angry when speaking on the phone. If you have no interest in writing, it will show in your blog.
- Structure and Organization – This may seem insignificant but it is truly important. Imagine reading a blog like this:
“The sky is blue but Daniel decided to kill Makeeta anyway”
What do you think about that sentence? You are probably wondering what does the sky being blue has to do with Daniel killing Makeeta and who are Daniel and Makeeta? What is the storyline, is it fiction or non-fiction and the questions are unending. With the same line of thought, your content should not attract such confusing questions; people get irritated when they are confused which leads them to leave negative responses of unfollowing your blog which is the opposite of what we need. My advice, let things flow.
6. Grammar and Punctuation – Imagine reading the paragraph above like this:
“Structure and Organization This may seem insignificant but it is truly important to Imagine reading a blog like this The sky is blue but Daniel decided to kill Makeeta anyway What do you think about that sentence You are probably wondering what does the sky being blue have to do with Daniel killing Makeeta and who are Daniel and Makeeta What is the storyline is it fiction or nonfiction and the questions are unending With the same line of thought your content should not attract such confusing questions people get irritated when they are confused which leads them to leave negative response of unfollowing your blog which is the opposite of what we need My advice let things flow ”
You are probably out of breath just by reading that entire statement, I’m sure you didn’t read it to the end. I didn’t either because it makes no sense. Imagine reading as a full blog with no punctuation marks with words spelled incorrectly. What would you think about that author? You’d think the same as me, he isn’t serious about his work, hence it doesn’t require my attention. Please don’t let this outlook be the same for you – grammar and punctuation are vital components of a blog and keeps viewership alive.
7. Creativity and Uniqueness– It amazes me how people are unique despite being similar. We should endeavor to focus on our uniqueness and build on it, never worry about who doesn’t like your content because, for every two (2) you lose, you gain four (4). Moral of the story? Be yourself!