Get more stuff like this
Get the latest Jamaican stories in your inbox
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.
Rice & Peas is a very popular dish here in Jamaica. Most residents cook this on Sundays and on Wednesdays with a preferred side of protein. Otherwise known as the Jamaican Coat of Arms.
- 1 Cup Red Kidney Beans
- 1 Cup Coconut milk (Grated or Blend Coconut for best results)
- 1 Stalk Escallion
- 1 Sprig Thyme
- 1 Green Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2lbs Rice
Prep Time: 35mins- 1hr Yield:4-6
- Add 2 Cups of water into a cast iron pot, add peas, pimento garlic, and cover pot to boil over high heat.
- Boil until peas are 3\4 way cooked if not repeat the process of adding 2 more cups of water and cover pot until peas are 3/4 way cooked.
- After the peas are cooked you add crushed escallion, thyme, and scotch bonnet pepper to the boil until peas are fully cooked.
- The water should boil until it’s reduced to 1 cup of water.
- Add coconut milk, butter, and salt and boil for 10 mins.
- Wash your rice and pour into pot stir with a fork, make sure the water level is 1 finger joint above the rice in the pot.
- Cover pot and lower heat to low flame and allow to steam.
- If the water is reduced and the rice is not cooked through, sprinkle 1/2 cup water to the rice and cover with plastic wrap or foil and cover for another 10 mins.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with your side of Protein.