Get more stuff like this
Get the latest Jamaican stories in your inbox
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.
Ackee & saltfish is the national dish of Jamaica. This dish is usually enjoyed for breakfast but it is a great dish for any time of the day.
- 1/2 lb Saltfish (Cod Fish)
- 1 doz Ackee or 2 Tin Ackee
- 1 medium Onion (Sliced)
- 1 small Sweet Pepper (Sliced)
- 1 medium tomato (Chopped)
- 1 clove Garlic (Minced)
- 3 slices Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 2 stalk Escallion
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
Prep Time: 45mins. Yield: 4
- Soak saltfish in fresh water for 30mins. Remove from water and boil for 10mins.
- Clean Ackee. Remove the seed and clean the pit of all red pit from the fruit.
- Wash Ackee, then add to a pot to boil until tender.
- Drain Ackee and rest aside.
- Flake Saltfish and remove bones.
- Saute seasonings in a dutch pot or frying pan until translucent.
- Add flaked saltfish stir and put on medium heat for 4mins.
- Add Ackee, salt, and pepper to taste and stir until mixed evenly for 5 mins.
- Turn off the stove and serve a side of choice.
Ackee is very versatile it can be served with just about anything. Can be served with: Fried Dumplings, Boiled Food, White Rice, Rice & Reas, Festivals, Roast or Fried breadfruit among other sides.