Jamaican Medium Stories

Share Tweet Share

How My Day Went – Part Two

Receive Updates From Writer

Get the latest stories in your inbox

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.

When I walked down, I passed my dad and my mom followed and a car almost hit me. 

I blame myself for this almost accident because I was distracted and it almost cost me my life. Thank Jehovah!

(No, this is not just an expression. I am serious! Thank Jehovah!)

Every jogger was on their last lap and was headed home because that time is considered “late”. There were about ten people left and I was so happy because at least I wasn’t there alone.

There was one lady in particular that kept me going because she kept going.

Turned out I did fifty-three minutes which I was surprised with because I didn’t know I walked that long.

I even wanted to do only twenty minutes because of the immense pain I was feeling in my stomach.

I did it.

I ran down to Fairview to get something and I realized that schools were being re-opened for face-to-face learning so of course, the traffic we avoided for a long while is back.

As I returned home, I started my dinner (Lol, it was not even 8:00 am yet) but I was doing curry goat without the pressure cooker so I wanted to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

I’m going to divert from the matter at hand for a bit but one thing I realized since living on my own is that you have to find what works for you, despite what your parents taught you.

No disrespect to our parents; we appreciate all you did.

But somethings we did that our parents taught us to don’t work out for us for one reason or another. Maybe it’s a case that it doesn’t fit in our schedule, it’s harder than we thought, or maybe we just don’t like doing the thing.

For me, it’s cooking.

I grew up seeing my parents cook dinner after work, whatever time that may be, during the week. Then on Saturday, my mom goes to the market then starts cooking the soup at around 2:00 pm and beyond. Sundays she cooks breakfast before 10:00 am and then dinner starts at 4:00 pm and beyond.

I cannot do that at all.

In my household, I am practicing to cook all meals one time of the day and that’s in the morning, especially when cooking ‘heavy’ meats such as:

  • Goat/Mutton
  • Lamb
  • Oxtail
  • Pig Trotters
  • Cow Foot
  • Pork
  • Etc.

Even if I do have to go into an office, I train my mind to start cooking heavy dinners from the night before. For example, if I come home at 6:00 pm and I know I want curry goat for dinner, I would ensure the meat is defrosting throughout the day then start cooking it at that time. Without the pressure cooker, the meat will be ready by 9:30 pm, right in time for my bedtime.

The next day, I cook up some white rice, heat the goat and it’s good to go.

But then again, that’s me. Do you do it any differently? Let me know in the comments below.

Don’t judge me 🙂


Click here to read part one.


Leave a Reply

Notify of

[…] How My Day Went – Part Two […]