Jamaican Rundown ‘Run Dung’ Recipe
A traditional Jamaican dish that is sauteed with aromatic seasonings and combined with Coconut Milk.
- 2lbs salt mackerel
- 1 Coconut or 1 1/2 Tin Coconut Milk
- 1 Large Onion (Sliced)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Stalks of Escallion
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper (Green)
- 2 Medium Tomatoes (Chopped)
- 3 Sprigs of Thyme
- Black Pepper
Prep Time: 1hr 30mins Yield: 4
- Boil mackerel in hot water for 35mins to remove excess salt.
- Drain mackerel and flake into small pieces.
- Remove the hard covering from the coconut, grate or blend and then squeeze to extract the milk.
- Boil coconut milk in a saute pan until it turns custard and you see the oil separating from the custard.
- Add Mackerel and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add seasonings, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Stir and cover to simmer for another 10 minutes on low heat.
Best served with boiled banana, dumplings and yam.
Get more stuff like this
Get the latest Jamaican News in your inbox
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.