Jamaican Rice & Peas Recipe
Rice & Peas is a very popular dish here in Jamaica. Most residents cook this on Sundays and on Wednesdays with a preferred side of protein. Otherwise known as the Jamaican Coat of Arms.
- 1 Cup Red Kidney Beans
- 1 Cup Coconut milk (Grated or Blend Coconut for best results)
- 1 Stalk Escallion
- 1 Sprig Thyme
- 1 Green Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2lbs Rice
Prep Time: 35mins- 1hr Yield:4-6
- Add 2 Cups of water into a cast iron pot, add peas, pimento garlic, and cover pot to boil over high heat.
- Boil until peas are 3\4 way cooked if not repeat the process of adding 2 more cups of water and cover pot until peas are 3/4 way cooked.
- After the peas are cooked you add crushed escallion, thyme, and scotch bonnet pepper to the boil until peas are fully cooked.
- The water should boil until it’s reduced to 1 cup of water.
- Add coconut milk, butter, and salt and boil for 10 mins.
- Wash your rice and pour into pot stir with a fork, make sure the water level is 1 finger joint above the rice in the pot.
- Cover pot and lower heat to low flame and allow to steam.
- If the water is reduced and the rice is not cooked through, sprinkle 1/2 cup water to the rice and cover with plastic wrap or foil and cover for another 10 mins.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with your side of Protein.
Get more stuff like this
Get the latest Jamaican News in your inbox
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.