The UNIVERSITY OF THE COMMONWEALTH CARIBBEAN invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates to fill the position of: Director of Finance
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Director of Finance also has total responsibility and accountability for the operations of the Institution’s Financial Control Department, to provide dynamic, visionary and extraordinary leadership for effective operational and strategic managementThis role directs all financial activities and advises and assists the Group Executive Chairman in meeting or exceeding the overall financial and strategic objectives of the UCC.
The Director of Finance is responsible for providing strategic leadership for the company by working with the Executive Management Team to establish long-range goals, strategies, plans and policies. The Director of Finance will oversee all finance, accounting, forecasting, budgeting, and tax functions of the UCC.
Major Objectives Includes:
- Advise the Group Executive Chairman and other key members of senior management on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters.
- Serve as the management liaison to the Board and Executive Council; effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at the board of directors and committee meetings.
- Contribute to the development of strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization.
- Develops finance organizational strategies by contributing financial and accounting information, analysis, and recommendations to strategic thinking and direction; establishing functional objectives in line with organizational objectives.
- Identifying monetary resources; develop action plans.
- Monitors financial performance by measuring and analyzing results; initiate corrective actions; minimizing the impact of variances.
- Maximize return on invested funds by identifying investment opportunities; maintain relationships with the investment community.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
- Review and uphold an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budget process which includes monitoring actual against budgeted expenses with explanations for variances (monthly basis).
- Masters Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business
- ACCA or CPA Designation
- At least six (6) years of experience in a similar managerial position
- Proficiency with MS Office, including Excel, word and powerpoint
- Current knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Knowledge of ACCPAC accounting software
- External audit experience preferred
- Excellent verbal, analytical, organizational and written skills.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self-reliant and results oriented
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administration initiatives.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, the board of directors, and staff
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Passion for the company’s mission