The University Hospital of the West Indies formerly University College Hospital of the West Indies, the first teaching hospital in the region, is situated on the lands adjacent to the Mona campus of University of the West Indies, formerly the University College of the West Indies. The training of Registered Nurses commenced on January 4, 1949. This clinical laboratory for the training of medical, nursing and other health care professionals, received its first patient in September 1952.
The University Hospital of the West Indies is an internationally recognized academic institution with 579 beds which continues to facilitate the clinical training of health care professionals. This type A regional referral hospital has over time expanded its services to meet the health needs of the region. Cutting edge technology is used in the provision of services thus ensuring excellence in teaching, research and patient care.