The Jamaica Yacht Club was formed in 1884 by a group of enthusiastic sailors. On the 29th of November 1889, the Club was granted a Royal Charter by Queen Victoria following a visit by Prince Edward, then the Prince of Wales, who later became Edward VII. Until 1962, when Jamaica became an independent nation within the Commonwealth, the Commodores were all Governors of Jamaica, whether or not they were yachtsmen. In 1963 the Commodore was chosen for the first time from the membership of the Club.
The Club is very active in sailing, with races on weekends in the protected waters of Kingston Harbour. Two Regattas are held during the year, one at the end of January/early February and the other over the first weekend of August, when we celebrate our Independence. The Piper-Heidsieck Pirates Race from Port Royal to Grand Cayman is hosted by the Club the third week in October each year. The Club and its members are represented internationally by the Jamaica Yachting Association